Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Start

I've been noticing a change in the way I look and feel lately, and after a recent trip to the beach with my family, I have come to the conclusion that I've gained a little too many pounds for comfort.  I think I may be the heaviest I've ever been, and know exactly the reasons why.  I drink too much alcohol and exercise far less than I should.  Now, being a senior in college this past year, my excuse was that I had little time left to live this sort of 'go out every night, have onion strings or fried banana peppers or ramen noodles at two in the morning' lifestyle.

That being said, I am no longer a college student and have got to get back on track.  With my friend count in Columbia cut down to basically zero, I've been sort of saved from myself and my poor choices.  I no longer drink so heavily, I don't go to happy hour or dinner out as often and I am much more aware of what I put into my body.  I already feel a slight change in the way I feel, but I could be doing way better.

So, I was talking to my good friend Nancy last night and she's thinking many of the same things that I am.  She proposed that we give each other daily reports on our meals and exercise in order to help each other stay on track and get ourselves in gear!

Here goes:

First off, I like eating healthy.  I like my fruits and vegetables, and I get my allotted servings.  I mainly just need to focus on cutting certain items out, decreasing portion size and inserting more exercise.  My plan is to eat five or six small meals a day.

These are the options I've come up with:

For breakfast:
-steel-cut oatmeal with soy milk and one packet of Stevia sweetener
-egg whites
-Greek yogurt & walnuts or granola
-coffee (hot or iced), green tea (hot or iced)

For lunch:
-salad (spinach leaves, tomato, avocado, walnuts, feta, chickpeas, onion, olives, egg, etc.), vary the veggies I choose to keep it new & dress with extra virgin olive oil
-veggie soup (V8 brand in broccoli, tomato or butternut squash)
-hummus & whole wheat pita or veggies
-fish & veggies
-green tea/juice

For dinner:
-salad
-veggie soup
-fish & veggies & brown rice or whole wheat couscous
-whole wheat pasta & veggies
-small portions of meat
-tabbouleh

For snacks:
-hummus
-pistachios
-yogurt
-whole grain goldfish
-protein shake with soy milk
-cottage cheese

I think the key for me is going to be variety.  These are all things I've been obsessed with in the past, ate everyday and got tired of.  I need to keep things novel and just make sure I'm eating real food.

No comments:

Post a Comment